[Xastir] Tiger2006 - dbfawk

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Jul 30 13:01:00 EDT 2007

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007, Tom Russo wrote:

> I never bothered to set up the makefile in Xastir's shapelib to build the
> tools shpcreate, shpadd, shpinfo, dbfcreate, dbfadd and dbfinfo, because I
> felt at the time that that was one of those things that "power users" would
> want, and those power users would just go ahead and build from the shapelib
> distribution, not ours.
>
> The makefile we've got could be set up to work properly with a small amount of
> effort.

Up to you.  I feel kind'a shaky dealing with more complicated
automake stuff and have to do a bunch of reading each time I play
with it to get the results I want.  Otherwise I would have perhaps
tried to add it to the standard makefiles.

I did the easiest thing I could, tweaked the "orig" Makefiles
slightly, and documented how to build the tools in the README's.
So, we have a _workable_ solution, but if you want an _elegant_
solution and have a few minutes to kill, feel free.

My feelings are that these utilities are useful to intermediate and
advanced users who want to configure their own dbfawk files.  That's
why I figured it was worth the effort to document how to compile
them.  After all, we distribute the sources with Xastir...