[Xastir] Re: [ubuntulinux] Re: Screen Resolution problem

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 15:40:26 EDT 2007

> On 7/31/07, Earl Needham <needhame1 at plateautel.net> wrote:
> >
> >          And now it's gone bad again, but it's SO bad that I can't
> > even see the screen well enough to change the resolution to something
> > that will work.
> >
> >          I really wanted Kubuntu to work, because I really wanted
> > Xastir to work.  But I think this is the end and I'm done with it.
> >
> >          I wonder if Fedora is less buggy.
> >          Earl

I have 3 Kubuntu virtual machines running on 3 different machines, and one
appears to have a similar problem - it has dropped down to 640x480
resolution, and it won't let me change it back.  It is one of two that I put
together "quick and dirty" without using VMware tools, so it was on the
default 1024x768 prior to dropping to 640x480.  I'm fairly sure I can fix it
by running the VMware tools script, but I won' t be back home until August
9th to try that.

A couple of ideas - maybe it is Kubuntu/KDE related, and the standard Ubuntu
with the Gnome desktop may not have the problem, so you could try installing
Ubuntu.  The other idea is to install Windows and VMware server (a free
download) and then install Kubuntu under VMware server and use VMware tools
to set the video resolution.  One of the Kubuntu virtual machines I have at
home was done that way, and it has been just fine.  In general I would
prefer to run Linux natively on a laptop like you have been doing, but if it
is known that Windows works well with your video card and wireless card,
VMware may be a decent solution.

Regards,

Lee - K5DAT
Murphy, TX