[Xastir] no maps

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 16:06:55 EDT 2007

Fyi, I've been playing with multiple Ubuntu/Kubuntu instances using VMware
Player.  Last night I installed Kubuntu 7.04 clean under VMware and this
time instead of adding the standard Xastir 1.84 binary I grabbed version
1.82 from the Edgy repository, and I got it installed fine with maps working
OK.  Then I upgraded it to 1.84 using the Adept updater, and everything is
still fine (except for the Terraserver problem, but that does not appear to
be a Xastir issue).  My guess is that it may have worked this time  if I had
installed 1.84 directly, but I suppose I will never know.  Anyway, maps are
finally working with Kubuntu 7.04 and Xastir 1.84.

I also tried compiling Xastir 1.91 from CVS on a clean installation of
Kubuntu 7.04, but unfortunately there were errors.  Next time I think I'll
try the 1.9.0 source from Sourceforge.

I have had really good results installing Ubuntu/Kubuntu clean under VMware
Player.  If anyone is interested, I documented it at
http://www.175moonlight.com/VMware.

73
Lee - K5DAT