[Xastir] no maps

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 20:48:38 EDT 2007

On 6/2/07, Tom Russo <russo at bogodyn.org> wrote:

> What were the errors?  You should be able to follow the "HowTo:Ubuntu 6.10

and 7.04" instructions (
> http://www.xastir.org/wiki/index.php/HowTo:Ubuntu_6.10)
> on the xastir wiki to install Xastir CVS on your Kubuntu 7.04 virtual
> machine.
> It should get you from a bare install to a working xastir in only a few
> steps.  Just a bunch of apt-gets and some script runs to do.

That is exactly what I followed.  The CVS downloads went fine.  I didn't
build
the "skinny" Xastir version first as is suggested by the Wiki - I went
directly to
the get-maptools script.  I got lots of warnings but no errors on the
shaplib and
gdal portions, but I got a 404 error on the geoTiff connection.  When I
configured,
I got a "YES" to everything above the dashed line except geoTiff  (surprise
surprise).  I was half expecting it to still work minus geoTiff, but when I
did the
make there were several error messages, and unfortunately I didn't save the
logs, and I don't remember what the errors were.  I ended up regretting not
trying to build before doing the maptools script. (I did edit the script as
instructed prior to executing)

If you have problems, rather than backing of to an older source
> distribution,
> try posting the errors here and we can probably get you squared away.

Thanks, I have been planning to try a source build again fairly soon, so I
will go
ahead and do it via CVS again and make sure I have a good log of everything
just in case.

Without the vmware tools you get reduced functionality of your mouse and
> the virtualized display adapter.

Yes, trying out VMware server has been on my list of things to do - I
especially would like more dispay adapter options.  I was a bit surprised
that the HowTo VMware for Xasitr is more focused on the Player.  I decided
to run with the Player first because I thought it
might be "lighter" and not slow down the guest OS as much.  The performance
has been good.

Thanks
Lee - K5DAT