[Xastir] no maps

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sat Jun 2 21:50:13 EDT 2007

On Sat, Jun 02, 2007 at 07:48:38PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <lee.bengston at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
>  On 6/2/07, Tom Russo <russo at bogodyn.org> wrote:
>

> > What were the errors?  You should be able to follow the "HowTo:Ubuntu 6.10
> >
>  and 7.04" instructions
>
>  That is exactly what I followed.  The CVS downloads went fine.
[...]
>  directly to
>  the get-maptools script.  I got lots of warnings but no errors on the
>  shaplib and
>  gdal portions, but I got a 404 error on the geoTiff connection.

That's odd.  I just checked, and the geotiff URL that's in the get-maptools
script works just fine right now.  Perhaps you had a problem in your edited
get-maptools.sh?

> When I
>  configured,
>  I got a "YES" to everything above the dashed line except geoTiff  (surprise
>  surprise).  I was half expecting it to still work minus geoTiff,

It should have.

> but when I
>  did the
>  make there were several error messages, and unfortunately I didn't save the
>  logs, and I don't remember what the errors were.

Keep 'em around next time you try, they'll probably indicate some problem other
than just the missing libgeotiff.

> I ended up regretting not
>  trying to build before doing the maptools script. (I did edit the script as
>  instructed prior to executing)

Nod.  That's one of the reasons why I put that section into the Wiki page,
because it should get a working build before bothering with the source
downloads of libraries.  The other reason is that my own internet connection
is very slow, and I needed something to do while the library sources were
downloading (hi hi).

>  Yes, trying out VMware server has been on my list of things to do - I
>  especially would like more dispay adapter options.  I was a bit surprised
>  that the HowTo VMware for Xasitr is more focused on the Player.  I decided
>  to run with the Player first because I thought it
>  might be "lighter" and not slow down the guest OS as much.  The performance
>  has been good.

Well, the HowTo:VMware is sort of a hybrid of two people's efforts --- Duffy's, who first proposed using VMware as an alternative to Cygwin, and my own after
I bought VMware Workstation and created a pre-built virtual machine with
Xastir already installed and a full CVS checkout with all necessary libraries
built.  (I chose to purchase Workstation to make it easier for me to maintain
the pre-built virtual machine, and because I want to be able to create lots
of virtual machines for other purposes --- I think it was $300 well spent
($200 for the initial Workstation 5 purchase, and $99 for the
upgrade to Workstation 6 when that came out).

In Duffy's case he was trying to use only free stuff and downloaded a virtual
appliance from the VMware site to build Xastir in, and in my case I was trying
to produce a pre-built package that folks could just download themselves and
use in the simplest software available (the player).

If you want to try to document creating a virtual machine from scratch using
VMware server, please go ahead and add a wiki page -- I wouldn't add it to
the existing HowTo:VMware because that page is already quite long and a
little confusing due to its attempt to explain two alternate approaches.  To
do that, though, you have to register for the wiki *and* send me, Curt and/or
Chuck an email asking to be added to the wikieditors group --- right now we
don't allow anyone automatic editing access to the wiki because of a serious
vandalism event (scripts logging in and trashing pages).