[Xastir] Caching maps?

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed Jun 6 14:38:17 EDT 2007

On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 08:08:42AM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <needhame1 at plateautel.net> flavor, containing:
> On Wednesday 06 June 2007 07:59:43 Curt, WE7U wrote:
> > On Wed, 6 Jun 2007, Curt, WE7U wrote:
> > > Xastir's Help->About.  Look for "map_caching" in the "Libraries
> > > used:" line.
> >
> > Here's what mine looks like, with EVERYTHING compiled in:
> >
> >   Libraries used: AX25 Festival GPSMan GraphicsMagick libProj
> >   GeoTiff GDAL/OGR Shapelib PCRE Dbfawk map_caching rtree
>
> 	OK, it isn't showing up on mine.  I compiled it WITH map caching, I even
> scrolled back up the terminal window to make sure, so I'm guessing I need to
> install the Berkeley DB library and then delete the Xastir directories and
> reinstall it, right?

Earl:

You should not need to delete anything.

To get it working on Kubuntu, you should only need to install one package
using apt-get:

 sudo apt-get install libdb4.4-dev

Then you have to re-configure, recompile and install xastir.  No deleting
of directories is required.

>From other answers you've gotten, I guess you could also use db4.5 instead of
db4.4 (I didn't realize they'd bumped the revision up again) --- if you want
to try that, simply replace "libdb4.4" with "libdb4.5" in the apt-get line
above.

Installation of libdb and its development headers (both accomplished by the
above line due to the -dev headers package depending on the library package)
is part of the instructions on the "HowTo:Ubuntu 6.10 and 7.04" wiki page.
If you followed those instructions and already installed the libraries there
must be something else going on.

When you run configure, if the correct libraries and headers are installed,
you should see this at the end of the configure run:

   xastir 1.9.1 has been configured to use the following
   options and external libraries:
   [...]
   Building with map caching .......................... : yes

If it says that, then "make && sudo make install" is all that's left.

If it says "no" there then either you didn't install libdb4.x-dev (for some
value of x) or it's installed but not properly detected by configure.  The
answer to why is in the config.log file that configure produces in your build
directory --- if you still have trouble, just post that file and we should
be able to see what's going on.