[Xastir] New FC7 install troubles with both Release and Stable CVS

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sat Jun 9 00:22:52 EDT 2007

On Fri, Jun 08, 2007 at 09:07:11PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <scpeters at mac.com> flavor, containing:
>  Tom,
>
> Thank you for responding.  I applied the patch that you sent, and it didn't cure the problem.  The same error still results after make.  It was a very clever idea though!

No, not really.  If I had actually dug before making the suggestion, I'd have
realized that split_q.c isn't used by the rtree library in xastir, even though
it's present in the source tree.  So nothing in it can conflict with split_l.c,
and my suggestion was just bollocks.

So in fact, I have NO idea why FC7 (and apparently FC6, or maybe that was just
FC7 Beta) is doing this.  I don't even know what that error message means.

> So, I reupdated from CVS and configure --without-rtree.  Make then finishes, and the application runs.
>
> What am I missing without rtree?  Wiklipedia tells me that rtrees are ways of indexing spatial data... Seems like most of Xastir would need that!

Rtrees are used in xastir only to speed up shapefile rendering.

Without the rtrees, every time you zoom or pan a map, all the shapefiles
in it are searched linearly for shapes that overlap the screen.  With rtrees,
a fast lookup can be done to access only those shapes that overlap without
searching through the entire file.  It can make things a lot faster if you're
doing a lot of zooming and panning.