[Xastir] New FC7 install troubles with both Release and Stable CVS

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Sat Jun 9 20:42:02 EDT 2007

On Fri, 8 Jun 2007, Tom Russo wrote:

> Without the rtrees, every time you zoom or pan a map, all the shapefiles
> in it are searched linearly for shapes that overlap the screen.  With rtrees,
> a fast lookup can be done to access only those shapes that overlap without
> searching through the entire file.  It can make things a lot faster if you're
> doing a lot of zooming and panning.

Unless you're zoomed out most or all of the way for the Shapefile
anyway, in which case it's just as fast to load the whole Shapefile
without rtree support at all.

If you're using very large (area) Shapefiles or are zoomed in a lot,
rtree support _really_ makes rendering faster.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer