[Xastir] KPC-3+ questions

Peter Maxfield pmaxfield at charter.net
Sat Jun 9 08:00:38 EDT 2007

Hello everyone!

Again I come to you with hat in hand.

I have been very successful in getting Xastir 1.85 to run on multiple
platforms.  In this instance, I am using Ubuntu Feisty Fawn on a celeron 2.0
notebook. It works well with a wired or wireless connection to my network.
To date though, I have only been looking at data coming from APRS servers
through the internet.  Very cool!

Now, phase 2.

I have also successfully setup a digipeater using an old radio and a KPC-3+
(W1LBR-5)

Now, I would like to marry the two together.  This I find, is not so easy.
Whenever I do this, it appears that the tnc-startup.kpc3 script overwrites
whatever I have programmed into the KPC-3+.  This has made me very
proficient in reprogramming the KPC-3+ by hand.  This is NOT something I am
proud of.  Since I am using a USB-Serial cable, I cannot use the program
that came with the KPC-3+ to save the configuration that way.  I did capture
the settings in a flat file (txt) and I hope I can use that if required in
the future.

I noticed in the tnc-startup.kpc3 script that some of the entries are not
set to take advantage of the new paradigm.  Perhaps they are handled
differently?

Does Xastir use KISS?  If so, how does it restore the KPC-3+?  I see a
kiss-off.pl.  Should I use this or should I place my flat file in the stop
script to restore the tnc to its original values and give my fingers a
chance to grow back to their original size?

I'm very close with this.  I think one or two good swift kicks will get me
back on track.  I would like to be able to use the digipeater with or
without Xastir automatically.  Thank you all in advance for your support

Best regards,

Peter Maxfield, W1LBR
Where's Max now?
HYPERLINK