[Xastir] KPC-3+ questions

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Jun 11 13:37:55 EDT 2007

On Sat, 9 Jun 2007, Peter Maxfield wrote:

> I have also successfully setup a digipeater using an old radio and a KPC-3+
> (W1LBR-5)
>
> Now, I would like to marry the two together.  This I find, is not so easy.
> Whenever I do this, it appears that the tnc-startup.kpc3 script overwrites
> whatever I have programmed into the KPC-3+.

Yes.  We are setting the TNC up for either Xastir-only operation, or
Xastir + dumb digipeater operation.  Take a look at the file to
figure out which.

In your case I'd recommend copying the tnc-startup.kpc3 file to a
completely new filename, then editing the new file to do what you
wish.  Set up the Interface->Properties dialog in Xastir to call out
your new file.

The reason for a new filename is so that future updates to Xastir
don't overwrite your changes.  Anytime you do the "make install"
option or install an Xastir binary package, the original file will
get replaced.

> I noticed in the tnc-startup.kpc3 script that some of the entries are not
> set to take advantage of the new paradigm.  Perhaps they are handled
> differently?

We don't do full-blown WIDEn-N digipeating in Xastir, nor do we
recommend that Xastir stations set up their TNC's which are capable
of it to do so.  The reason is that _usually_ a good location for a
WIDEn-N digipeater and a good location for an Xastir station are not
one and the same.

We provide support for WIDE1-1 digipeating in some cases with
Xastir.  Those cases are I believe with a Serial KISS TNC and with
an AX.25 interface.

> Does Xastir use KISS?

It can.  I'm doing so at home with a TNC-X TNC currently.

> If so, how does it restore the KPC-3+?

It doesn't by default.  Usually those that run KISS have no need to
take a TNC out of KISS mode.

> I see a
> kiss-off.pl.  Should I use this or should I place my flat file in the stop
> script to restore the tnc to its original values and give my fingers a
> chance to grow back to their original size?

"kiss-off.pl" won't work from the Interface->Properties dialog.
It's a Perl script file, so it's an entire program in itself.

> I'm very close with this.  I think one or two good swift kicks will get me
> back on track.  I would like to be able to use the digipeater with or
> without Xastir automatically.  Thank you all in advance for your support

If you keep it _out_ of KISS mode and create your own startup file,
you should be able to do WIDEn-N digipeating and Xastir at the same
time.  Plus igating if you wish.  Just make sure you check with the
locals before putting up a WIDEn-N digipeater.  Ordinarily users
shouldn't be doing this.