[Xastir] Shapefiles?

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sun Jun 10 12:53:44 EDT 2007

On Sun, Jun 10, 2007 at 10:44:26AM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <needhame1 at plateautel.net> flavor, containing:
> On Sunday 10 June 2007 10:32:37 Tom Russo wrote:
> > > 	My ignorance showing again -- how do I get it to run?
> >
> > sudo /usr/local/lib/xastir/get-NWSdata
>
> 	Ha!  And here I was clicking on it in Konqueror, right-clicking on it, etc!

For the most part, Xastir is set up to be used under a command-line system,
and right-clicking, left-clicking, or double-clicking on icons for its scripts
will rarely work properly.  You'll almost always need to work in a shell
terminal when doing things other than launching xastir itself.

> 	It already told me it couldn't find z_18oc06.zip (it was a 404) so I guess
> I'll have to look and see if it was updated to a different version.  It's
> getting w_16mr06.zip, mz30nv06.zip and several others just fine.

Looks like that script is very primitive --- it looks for specific versions
that were known to be the most recent at the time it was written, and
relies on the developers to keep on top of changes.  I don't think anyone's
kept on top of the changes.  HOWEVER, I just looked on NOAA's site
(http://www.nws.noaa.gov/geodata, which is listed in README.MAPS) and I see
there's a new zone file, z_11mr07.zip.  There's also a new firezone file,
fz17ap07.zip.

I went ahead and edited get-NWSdata to reflect that new file and am committing
the change.  If you're building off of CVS you can do an update and get
the modified script.  If you're still working off of a stable release tar file,
then you'll need to edit the script yourself, or just go to that web site and
download the individual files and unzip them into the right place.