[Xastir] Strange crash

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Jun 11 13:25:51 EDT 2007

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007, Alex Carver wrote:

> I was running Xastir on my Linux system with the
> window being exported over to my Windows machine
> running StarNet XWin 32.  I clicked on the Xastir
> window today only to find that it had crashed with
> this in the terminal:
>
> X Error of failed request:  BadLength (poly request
> too large or internal Xlib length error)
>   Major opcode of failed request:  74 (X_PolyText8)
>   Serial number of failed request:  27739074
>

> Any idea what happened?

Xastir uses some features of X11 that may not be well supported in
your XServer.  That's my first guess.  We use various geometric
drawing functions with a lot of points, and also use bit-blitting
functions inside X11 that may not be well supported.

It could be that a map was getting redrawn if you're using any maps
that have the REFRESH option enabled, or Xastir could have been
drawing weather alerts at the time.  Another possibility is that
there was some sort of network transport problem between the two
machines, or even that the Windows machine got too slow and
something got lost somewhere.

Hard to say exactly.