[Xastir] No Maps

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Fri Jun 15 04:36:21 EDT 2007

I've had a long standing problem with no maps in xastir and I almost
drove Curt to insanity with my problem.

The problem started with a Debian upgrade some time ago but I don't
recall just which upgrade it was, not that that's important at this
stage because I've moved on.

I'm building up a new system to replace the trusty old BBS/node machine
and lo and behold, I still have no maps. The "new" system is a P700 with
256M RAM.

The new machine is running Kubuntu 7.04 and I've followed the Howto from
the wiki to the letter to install xastir.

The maps I wish to display are gif or jpg.

The strange part of all this is if I install xastir from a deb package I
can display my maps, but not if I compile from sources, even though
xastir reports it's compiling with everything (except festival, which
doesn't bother me).

I could run with the deb package except for one thing. The deb package
expects to find libax25 in the old location, and libax25 installed from
the deb package installs there.

However, I run fpac and fbb and they install from compiled sources. To
accommodate fpac and other locally compiled AR applications I compile
modified versions of libax25, ax25-tools and ax25-apps which install to
the "new" locations.

Right now I have all the ax25 stuff compiled and installed from modified
sources and xastir has no maps, except worldhi.map.

If I use apt-get to try to install xastir from a deb package, the only
extra packages it wants to install are libax25 and lesstif2, suggesting
that everything else that xastir needs to display maps is present on the
system.

Openmotif is installed instead of lesstif but on the other machine I
tried both without success. I've also substituted graphicmagick for
imagemagick but to no avail.

I've thought about colour depth because that has been suggested but
given that xastir installed from the deb package works fine, I think it
reasonable to assume that is not the problem.

Has anybody else experienced this problem?

Ray vk2tv