[Xastir] No Maps

Chris Thompson kf4drr at windstream.net
Fri Jun 15 07:22:38 EDT 2007

On Friday 15 June 2007 4:36:21 am Ray Wells wrote:
> I've had a long standing problem with no maps in xastir and I almost
> drove Curt to insanity with my problem.
>
> The problem started with a Debian upgrade some time ago but I don't
> recall just which upgrade it was, not that that's important at this
> stage because I've moved on.
>
> I'm building up a new system to replace the trusty old BBS/node machine
> and lo and behold, I still have no maps. The "new" system is a P700 with
> 256M RAM.
>
> The new machine is running Kubuntu 7.04 and I've followed the Howto from
> the wiki to the letter to install xastir.
>
> The maps I wish to display are gif or jpg.
>
> The strange part of all this is if I install xastir from a deb package I
> can display my maps, but not if I compile from sources, even though
> xastir reports it's compiling with everything (except festival, which
> doesn't bother me).
>
> I could run with the deb package except for one thing. The deb package
> expects to find libax25 in the old location, and libax25 installed from
> the deb package installs there.
>
> However, I run fpac and fbb and they install from compiled sources. To
> accommodate fpac and other locally compiled AR applications I compile
> modified versions of libax25, ax25-tools and ax25-apps which install to
> the "new" locations.
>
> Right now I have all the ax25 stuff compiled and installed from modified
> sources and xastir has no maps, except worldhi.map.
>
> If I use apt-get to try to install xastir from a deb package, the only
> extra packages it wants to install are libax25 and lesstif2, suggesting
> that everything else that xastir needs to display maps is present on the
> system.
>
> Openmotif is installed instead of lesstif but on the other machine I
> tried both without success. I've also substituted graphicmagick for
> imagemagick but to no avail.
>
> I've thought about colour depth because that has been suggested but
> given that xastir installed from the deb package works fine, I think it
> reasonable to assume that is not the problem.
>

> Has anybody else experienced this problem?
>
> Ray vk2tv

i had a problem with my system (Kubuntu 7.04) when i first installed xastir
not showing maps and drove myself nuts, until i decided i wanted to install
beryl, couldn't get that to work either. so when i searched for help on
getting beryl to work i discovered that the 3d driver for my nvidia graphics
card hadn't been installed and needed to be. when i installed the 3d driver
for the nvidia card both beryl and xastir worked flawlessly. don't know if
your using a nvidia card or if this may be your problem but that was my
experience with this situation. hope it is of some help.

--
-Chris