[Xastir] System cost options

Jim Tolbert RiverRidge at CenturyTel.net
Tue Jun 26 17:47:46 EDT 2007

Thank you very much to Curt, Jason, Tom, & Gerry for the comments.

So if I were to go with APRS/ Xastir /Linux......  It appears that I can
download Linux and I have a laptop available.   I can download Xastir.
So the costs for each field searcher will be will be  $500 ( Kenwood D7A
($350) plus a mapping GPS (Etrex Summit ($150)).   Then do I need the
same for the laptop or only the Kenwood D7A or something else?

For 4 teams(two units per team -- one at each end) plus a dog plus two
mounted searchers plus the laptop, I will need 12 sets or $6,000.   For
Garmin Rino 110 (5 mile GMRS)  I would have 12 @ $150 = $1800. For
Garmin Rino 520 (14 mile GMRS) I would have 12 @ $360 = $4320.

Are there other options that should be considered with a cost between
high & low?  I am pretty sure we do not have the ability to homebrew
equipment, so unless they are VERY straightforward, I think kits are out.

I don't know if this has any impact on the situation, but we have huge
holes in our cellular coverage and our radio infrastructure is dated and
heavily loaded also with holes in the reception.

Is the general consensus  that I should wait until we can afford the
Kenwood / GPS unit system or go now with one of the Rino options.   I
don't know what is available as far as funds......  I am just trying to
get a good picture of the impact of the choices.

Many thanx to all ..........  you have been VERY helpful.........  jt

--
Jim Tolbert
EMT-B

RiverRidge at CenturyTel.net