[Xastir] System cost options

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Jun 26 18:15:30 EDT 2007

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007, Jim Tolbert wrote:

> So if I were to go with APRS/ Xastir /Linux......  It appears that I can
> download Linux and I have a laptop available.   I can download Xastir.

Yea.  Linux can be free.  Xastir is free.  VMPlayer is free if you
want to keep Windows on the machine, but if you're running Windows
there are other APRS programs available as well, for free or nearly
free.  See the links I'll mention later here.

> So the costs for each field searcher will be will be  $500 ( Kenwood D7A
> ($350) plus a mapping GPS (Etrex Summit ($150)).   Then do I need the
> same for the laptop or only the Kenwood D7A or something else?

You need a radio/antenna/TNC for the laptop but you don't need to go
with the TH-D7A.  It'd work fine for that use though.  Other options
would be the Kenwood TM-D700A mobile rig (runs off 12V directly), or
if you want to go cheaper, get some 2-meter mobile rig at $150 on
sale new, an antenna for it, a TNC-X TNC kit, and build a cable to
go between the TNC and the radio.  You could also buy a Kantronics
KPC-3 TNC used or a KPC-3+ TNC new and build a cable from it to any
2-meter mobile radio.

> For 4 teams(two units per team -- one at each end) plus a dog plus two
> mounted searchers plus the laptop, I will need 12 sets or $6,000.   For
> Garmin Rino 110 (5 mile GMRS)  I would have 12 @ $150 = $1800. For
> Garmin Rino 520 (14 mile GMRS) I would have 12 @ $360 = $4320.
>
> Are there other options that should be considered with a cost between
> high & low?  I am pretty sure we do not have the ability to homebrew
> equipment, so unless they are VERY straightforward, I think kits are out.

Yea.  Check out the link "APRS in Search and Rescue" listed on my
homepage link below and read up on things.  Then check out the "APRS
Hardware (Wiki)" link.  Then come back here and ask more questions.

Also plan for at least a couple of spares for everything.  Wires and
equipment break or are damaged.  The more pieces of equipment and
wires you need to tie it all together, the more breakage will occur.

Also, the TH-D7A's have some weak points:  The antenna connector,
the belt clip, and the waterproofing (non-existent).  Take those
into account.

> Is the general consensus  that I should wait until we can afford the
> Kenwood / GPS unit system or go now with one of the Rino options.   I
> don't know what is available as far as funds......  I am just trying to
> get a good picture of the impact of the choices.

I think I'd avoid the Rino option, as it limits you in several ways,
not the least of which is the Xastir/GPSMan combo to tie it all
together.  I prefer systems that allow more options/upgrades in the
future.