Fwd: [Xastir] System cost options

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Jun 27 11:40:03 EDT 2007

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007, Greg Eigsti wrote:

> The Rino 520/530 boast 5 watts on the GMRS bands; though mine does
> not perform as I would expect - What I cannot tx/rx through that
> mountain? ;)  I have also been very happy with the battery life of
> the stock li/ion batteries.  We use ours on the dirt bikes to keep in
> touch with each other (and to track each other).  IMO a great
> package!  Now if only one of the HAM mfgrs would step up and give us
> all that the Rino offers + HAM bands + TNC...
>
> Great discussion as I am very interested in bridging HAM/Rino -
> though work/wife/kids get in the way of that goal most of the time ;)

As far as I know Xastir is the only APRS program that can currently
bridge the two, and it is in one direction only.

I assume your 520's/530's are either newer units, or you've upgraded
the firmware on them from Garmin so that you get the positioning out
at the higher power level?  If your units are older, you might want
to do that.  Older units send the positioning out at FRS power
levels instead of GMRS.