[Xastir] More system questions

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Jun 27 18:06:45 EDT 2007

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007, Tom Russo wrote:

> Curt likes the idea of using Tracker2 units to deploy a bunch of man-portable
> digis into mission areas.  I'm still skeptical, but it could work well.  How's
> that going, Curt? (ignoring the fact that Tracker2 is still not ready for
> prime time, so doesn't answer Jim's needs yet)

I not only like the idea, I'm heavily promoting it to all of those
out there that CAN'T GET THE EQUIPMENT TO MAKE MY IDEA WORK!  hi hi

I have three Tracker2's in my hands, two of the OT2M's of different
vintages (I think an 'A' and a 'C'), and one of the S/M Tracker2's
that Scott had a problem with the oscillator with (but my board is
fine at present).  Enough to deploy three SAR backpack trackers that
are capable of preemptive digipeating using the SARn-N flooding
protocol.

Of course I don't have the time or support at home to go on SAR
missions at present, so my whole grand experiment is on hold.
Indefinitely.

Yea, I know:  Wah.

Hopefully Scott will find time to get either the combined
6W-Radio/Tracker2 products out, or the Tracker2 through-hole TNC's,
or the Tracker2 S/M TNC's.  There's also the T2-135 S/M TNC's that
fit inside the Alinco DR-135T mobile radios, but those aren't
suitable for backpack trackers and therefore I'm not as interested
in those.  They'd be good for SAR vehicles though, and probably for
the ICP.

Then there's the TinyTrak4 project which is also in beta-test, and
might have the capability in software to do similar things someday.
Worth keeping an eye on.