[Xastir] More system questions

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed Jun 27 20:32:05 EDT 2007

On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 07:08:43PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <r.polivka at sbcglobal.net> flavor, containing:

>  If you are going to go the radio/tnc route, I would set up the units to also
>  be digipeaters as well. This would give the low level signals a better
>  chance to propagate. I do not know if the D7A will digi as well, so I would
>  look into it.

The D7 doesn't digipeat, as I understand it.

You'd need something like the TT4 or the Tracker2, neither of which is
available other than as beta test yet, or some other full TNC+radio
set-up.

Digi-in-a-tracker is still a technique that has, IMHO, yet to be proven.  It's
got promise, but is still an experiment that hasn't been done widely.

A portable digipeater-in-a-box, however, can be deployed at a mission as
needed --- it needn't be man-portable, can be in a rugged waterproof
container, and with a mast, big battery, and beefy mobile rig could be
very effective.  Our SAR Support team has one and can deploy it as needed
(which in our case isn't often).

I am still of the opinion that the SARn-N idea could work, but has the
potential to jam up a channel quickly as every field team digipeats every
other team's data.  I am waiting to be proven wrong, at which point I'll
gleefully eat my words.  At this point I have no way of doinng the
experiment myself, as none of the readily available tracker units can do
it anyway.

>  This is not going to be cheap if you go with off-the-shelf solutions.
>  Cobbling would save much but if the capability is not there, you will have
>  to bite the bullet.

With you on that one.  Equipping an entire 12-team organization and building
up a usable infrastructure's gonna be a pricey endeavor, and trying to cobble
together on a budget will be difficult.