[Xastir] More system questions

Richard Polivka, N6NKO r.polivka at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 27 20:08:43 EDT 2007

In checking the station details, he/she is showing a range of 20 miles.
Remember, that number is based on a clear shot. Burnett County is not
that flat and is tree laden. The effective range for the station will be
less. It appears that in a 50 mile radius of Burnett, I count four
stations advertised as being active on APRS.

The idea of just using a transmit-only tracker was a idea to keep it
small and lightweight. A full TNC, battery, radio, and reasonable
antenna will be cumbersome for the person to carry. The key here is
ANTENNA. You gain on  both ends, RX and TX. Probably the best way to do
an antenna is to use a long rubber ducky antenna and use the metal frame
of a backpack as the ground plane.  Plus, it is easier to carry day
supplies and the metal frame is far easier on the back than a softshell
pack.

If you are going to go the radio/tnc route, I would set up the units to
also be digipeaters as well. This would give the low level signals a
better chance to propagate. I do not know if the D7A will digi as well,
so I would look into it.

This is not going to be cheap if you go with off-the-shelf solutions.
Cobbling would save much but if the capability is not there, you will
have to bite the bullet.

Good luck.

73 from 807,

Richard, N6NKO