[Xastir] directories

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Tue Mar 6 09:29:29 EST 2007

On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 08:45:17AM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <pmaxfield at charter.net> flavor, containing:
> Hello all,
>
> I have decide to install edgy on my notebook and have scrapped the vmplayer.
> It was fun but very tedious and time consuming.
>
> So far I have edgy running well and am getting to the point where I am
> bringing in some of the dependencies on the howto "6:10"
>
> I see a discrepancy in directories which I am not sure about.  Tom uses
> src/XASTIR/xastir in vmplayer but other documentation for Xastir is just
> src/xastir.  I don't know if any of the cvs or updates require a specific
> directory

It is a matter of personal preference.

Most of the documentation has folks unpack a tar file or do a cvs checkout
directly under a "src" directory, and then build the code in that same
directory.  I prefer to unpack the source code in one directory and build
in another, so adding that extra layer of directories helps me keep things
organized.

It is of no consequence at all which directory you put it in or where you
build it.

> I have created the .cvsrc file, in my "~" (above src)  directory but it does
> not appear to work.  When I try to  perform the cvs -d:pserver:anon.... I
> get a bash: cvs command not found.  Do I have to pull in a working copy
> first?

You need to have CVS installed, and the error message you're getting
indicates that you don't.  The wiki page HowTo:Ubuntu 6.10 has the
command that does that.  If you execute the three "apt-get" commands, the
second of them will install CVS.

> I am dearly trying to work in the command line, so bear with me.  I haven't
> worked command line since DOS 3.3, so I am rusty.
>
> Even more silly, in reading through, I can't get into the sudoers files, or
> any su operation.  I type in su and put in the password I uses when I
> started ubuntu, but I get an authentication failure.  Is there a default
> password I missed, or did something happen in playing around.

You need to type "sudo", not "su" --- Ubuntu defaults to having root login
disabled, and all root access is done through the sudo command with your *own*
password.