[Xastir] directories

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Tue Mar 6 09:36:50 EST 2007

On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 07:29:29AM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <russo at bogodyn.org> flavor, containing:
> On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 08:45:17AM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <pmaxfield at charter.net> flavor, containing:
>
> > I am dearly trying to work in the command line, so bear with me.  I haven't
> > worked command line since DOS 3.3, so I am rusty.
> >
> > Even more silly, in reading through, I can't get into the sudoers files, or
> > any su operation.  I type in su and put in the password I uses when I
> > started ubuntu, but I get an authentication failure.  Is there a default
> > password I missed, or did something happen in playing around.
>
> You need to type "sudo", not "su" --- Ubuntu defaults to having root login
> disabled, and all root access is done through the sudo command with your *own*
> password.

Please don't try to follow the README.CVS or INSTALL files in the Xastir
checkout unless you're more familiar with linux --- they're written from
a more general standpoint and are in some ways incompatible with
the Ubuntu way of doing things.  The HowTo:Ubuntu 6.10
wiki walks you through every step in a way that is tailored directly to
ubuntu.  For example, wherever README.CVS or INSTALL refer to doing something
like:
   su
   make install
Ubuntu would have you do:
   sudo make install

Instructions to use "su" are peppered throughout the help files in xastir,
but you'll be very frustrated if you try to do that on ubuntu without
knowing a little more about what it's all doing and how to adapt it to
the specifics.  You'll find the wiki instructions much simpler and more
directly relevent (now that we've got the print extension stuff listed there).