[Xastir] directories

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Mar 6 09:46:13 EST 2007

On Tue, 6 Mar 2007, Tom Russo wrote:

> Please don't try to follow the README.CVS or INSTALL files in the Xastir
> checkout unless you're more familiar with linux --- they're written from
> a more general standpoint and are in some ways incompatible with
> the Ubuntu way of doing things.

As far as I'm concerned these changes to Ubuntu to make things
"easier" for the user cause things to be more difficult for everyone
else due to Ubuntu being non-standard.  We have to modify our
explanations greatly to communicate to users of that OS, whereas for
most other Linux/Unix variants there are little or no differences in
the commands:  They're very consistent.

I'd really hate to go back through all the Xastir docs and put in
lots of extra verbage for each exception on this and that OS.  Win32
required an entirely separate doc due to the vast differences from
Unix/Linux operation.  The more docs we have the more maintainance
of said docs is required, drawing developer energy away from other
areas of the project.

I suppose this is one area where the Wiki can and does shine though,
as it is user-supported instead of developer-supported.  Everyone
can help keep the instructions up to date.