[Xastir] problems encountered: Fedora Core 5 install of Xastir

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Thu Mar 8 00:47:24 EST 2007

On Wed, 7 Mar 2007, Tom Russo wrote:

> > When I enter the command Xastir from a user level (and as root) I get
> > this shape library error:
> >
> > xastir: error while loading shared libraries: libshp.so.1: cannot open
> > shared object file: No such file or directory
>
> This indicates that while you may have run ldconfig each time, your ld.so.conf
> file might not have /usr/local/lib in it --- what does your /etc/ld.so.conf
> file say?  If it doesn't have /usr/local/lib in it, add that and rerun
> ldconfig.  Without being told to add /usr/local/lib to the mix, ldconfig
> won't add those shared libraries to its lookup.
>
> If it *DOES* have /usr/local/lib in it, then I can't help ya and one of
> the FC users here will have to step in.  The one thing I could imagine being
> a problem in that case is if for some reason /usr/local/lib isn't owned
> by root --- on BSD (my primary system) ldconfig won't add directories to
> its search unless they're owned by root, but that might not be the case
> for linux.

I haven't ever heard that about Linux, but it doesn't mean it might
not be true.  I usually have to add /usr/local/lib to the
/etc/ld.so.conf file on Linux installations these days.

By the way, another thing he can do if he's compiling Xastir from
sources is just get rid of the Shapelib RPM's entirely and let
Xastir use the built-in Shapelib.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer