[Xastir] problems encountered: Fedora Core 5 install of Xastir

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed Mar 7 23:39:31 EST 2007

On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 09:25:08PM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <mark at neteffex.com> flavor, containing:
> I greatly appreciate the instructions at xastir.org/wiki, specifically
> the HowTo:Fedora, and... I know that I'm likely 99% close to a
> successful install, but have encountered some problems that I need help
> with.
>
> I'm using Fedora Core 5 on a Pentium system.

I can't really help with FC 5 specifics, but there are a few general things I
can help with.

> Lesstif was not installed and yum failed to find it.   While running yum
> and after it connected to the server, yum reported:
>   No match for argument lesstif lesstif-devel
>   Nothing to do.
>
> Well, I didn't know if lesstif was a needed install.  Checking the
> fedora core 5 website listing of rpm's showed no package named lesstif
> or lesstif-devel.  Can someone suggest what I should do?

You need either lesstif or openmotif.  Lesstif has been seen to have
numerous bugs --- so since you later installed OpemMotif, you're fine.  Forget
lesstif.

>proj...
> installed fine, as did the proj-datumgrid, libgeotiff-1.2.3, and the
> shapelib-1.2.9.  After each install I ran ldconfig.  I didn't remove the
> source directories of these packages (just in case I needed them).
>
> I downloaded Xastir (stable version 1.8.5) and the ./configure failed at
> the Motif libraries.  I downloaded the openmotif rpm packages from the
> Fedora website and installed the devel package as well.  The Xastir
> completed the ./configure without any Motif errors, so I proceeded with
> the make and make install commands, which performed fine.
>
> When I enter the command Xastir from a user level (and as root) I get
> this shape library error:
>
> xastir: error while loading shared libraries: libshp.so.1: cannot open

This indicates that while you may have run ldconfig each time, your ld.so.conf
file might not have /usr/local/lib in it --- what does your /etc/ld.so.conf
file say?  If it doesn't have /usr/local/lib in it, add that and rerun
ldconfig.  Without being told to add /usr/local/lib to the mix, ldconfig
won't add those shared libraries to its lookup.

If it *DOES* have /usr/local/lib in it, then I can't help ya and one of
the FC users here will have to step in.  The one thing I could imagine being
a problem in that case is if for some reason /usr/local/lib isn't owned
by root --- on BSD (my primary system) ldconfig won't add directories to
its search unless they're owned by root, but that might not be the case
for linux.

> I thought maybe I had skipped a step in the wiki instructions, so I went
> back to the shapelib source directory and attempted a the "make lib,
> make lib_install, ldconfig" sequence again.  It all installed without
> error, but I still get the same error above.

I'm looking at the wiki page for FC
(http://www.xastir.org/wiki/index.php/HowTo:Fedora) and it mentions the bit
about making sure /usr/local/lib is in your /etc/ld.so.conf, so perhaps you
already got that done and I'm barking up the wrong tree.