[Xastir] problems encountered: Fedora Core 5 install of Xastir

mark mark at neteffex.com
Wed Mar 7 22:25:08 EST 2007

I greatly appreciate the instructions at xastir.org/wiki, specifically
the HowTo:Fedora, and... I know that I'm likely 99% close to a
successful install, but have encountered some problems that I need help
with.

I'm using Fedora Core 5 on a Pentium system.

>From the wiki instructions, I checked for ImageMagick and the -devel (it
was installed on the computer).  The festival install didn't suit me (I
have enough things in life talking to me...).

I checked for libtiff (it was installed on the computer).

Lesstif was not installed and yum failed to find it.   While running yum
and after it connected to the server, yum reported:
  No match for argument lesstif lesstif-devel
  Nothing to do.

Well, I didn't know if lesstif was a needed install.  Checking the
fedora core 5 website listing of rpm's showed no package named lesstif
or lesstif-devel.  Can someone suggest what I should do?

I wanted to press on with the other installs, so the proj-4.5.0
installed fine, as did the proj-datumgrid, libgeotiff-1.2.3, and the
shapelib-1.2.9.  After each install I ran ldconfig.  I didn't remove the
source directories of these packages (just in case I needed them).

I downloaded Xastir (stable version 1.8.5) and the ./configure failed at
the Motif libraries.  I downloaded the openmotif rpm packages from the
Fedora website and installed the devel package as well.  The Xastir
completed the ./configure without any Motif errors, so I proceeded with
the make and make install commands, which performed fine.

When I enter the command Xastir from a user level (and as root) I get
this shape library error:

xastir: error while loading shared libraries: libshp.so.1: cannot open

I thought maybe I had skipped a step in the wiki instructions, so I went
back to the shapelib source directory and attempted a the "make lib,
make lib_install, ldconfig" sequence again.  It all installed without
error, but I still get the same error above.

The "whereis libshp.so.1" command results in:
libshp.so: /usr/local/lib/libshp.so /usr/local/lib/libshp.so.1

That's where I've stopped.

Can anyone offer suggestions, comments, and any "Did you try..."
please?

I'd be grateful for any and all help.

- Mark Rice, N4CMB
mark at neteffex.com