[Xastir] Xastir question regarding Internet Server

Richard Polivka, N6NKO r.polivka at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 19 19:59:29 EDT 2007

Josh,

I did what you are describing just using one machine - Inet->RF
(stns/wx/data), RF->RF(digi), but no RF->Inet, here in the Milwaukee area.

I was doing for a long time and decided to stop providing the service
since I saw no evidence of the information being used. So, as a test, I
opened up the floodgates to all the wx messages and found that all that
was received was complaining from a couple of area hams because of all
the activity was present (I still have the emails from the people
involved). So, all I received was indirect complaints, so I shut down
the service.

Now I just use the feeds here with other software packages that I wrote
to have running during weather net operations here. I run a
three-monitor linux box that simultaneously displays all the WSR-88D
products out of KMKX, xastir showing the wx alerts, and the text
messages being sent out by the NWS color coded as to severity.

If the service can be used up in Sheboygan and you have a group that
will appreciate the service, then go for it. You have the ideas correct.

If I can be of any help, just ask.

73 from 807,

Richard, N6NKO