[Xastir] Re: Question regarding Linux OS

Tony Hunt wavetel at internode.on.net
Sat Mar 24 18:25:01 EDT 2007

Mike ..

PC-Linux is a pretty impressive Distro. Ive run alot of Live ones up of late
and this one is near the top of my list. Its Mandrake based and looks to be
a neat base install .. They are using RPM package managment as a result of
the Mandrake guts on this distro. Unfortunately we lack Xastir RPM packages
by the look of it..

I ran up test release 3 like Dave and enabled all the repositries in
Synaptic. After updating I found no sign of a Xastir package. However there
is a LSB-Core package ver 3.1-8 available. I would sugest going down this
path as being an easy way to go.. Install LSB-core I think along with its
dependancies (use Synaptic).

Then get the Xastir LSB (linux standard base) package from the Xastir Binary
page at
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer/xastir-packages.html

This should work .. Just follow the instructions as it says.. Curt would
certainly be interested to see what you find and likely can give you more
help on this..

You should also be able to compile your own Xastir from source of course but
this may be more of a can of worms than you want to open.

Tony VK5AH