[Xastir] Lockup Troubles (Mac)

Chip G. n1mie at ct.metrocast.net
Tue Mar 27 19:13:28 EDT 2007

Things had been going well, but recently I've started having periodic
lockups. The symptoms are that I will come along and check the
machine and find that it Xastir is frozen. It nearly always appears
this way with the red arrow under the internet connection (incoming
data I believe). If I quit it then I find that there is one or more
open xastir processes that I can't kill no matter what I try and I
can't restart Xastir either. The only way I've found out of this
predicament is to reboot the machine, which I loathe and is
unacceptable.

So my first question is if there is another command other than "kill"
to abort a process (I've tried nearly every variation on "kill" and
none of them work).

More information on how Xastir is configured. I have virtually every
option available for my system installed (no GPSman or AX25 or a
couple others). The last time I started Xastir (from a terminal
window, which I don't usually do) I noted there was an error message
which might be relevant. The message reads:

> ***** WARNING *****
> Berkeley DB header files/shared library file do NOT match!
> Disabling use of map cache.
>  Header file: Sleepycat Software: Berkeley DB 4.2.52: (December 3,
> 2003)
> Library file: Sleepycat Software: Berkeley DB 4.4.20: (January 10,
> 2006)
> ***** WARNING *****

The configure line of the script I use to build/install Xastir
includes this:

> --with-bdb-libdir=/sw/lib --with-bdb-incdir=/sw/include/db4

I see "libdb-4.4.la" (and similar files plus other versions, 3.3 +
4.2 + 4.3) in the libdir mentioned above. I do have the incdir
mentioned above with files: "db.h", "db_185.h", "db_cxx.h". When I
compare with my other machine I see a lot less libdb files in the
libdir.

I'd like to straighten out the Berkeley DB issue and I would also
like to isolate the lockup problem if it's not related.

73,
--de Chip (N1MIE) FN41bn