[Xastir] Lockup Troubles (Mac)

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Mar 28 10:44:05 EDT 2007

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007, Chip G. wrote:

> Things had been going well, but recently I've started having periodic
> lockups. The symptoms are that I will come along and check the
> machine and find that it Xastir is frozen.

What version of Xastir?

> So my first question is if there is another command other than "kill"
> to abort a process (I've tried nearly every variation on "kill" and
> none of them work).

    ps -aux | grep xastir | grep -v grep
    kill -9 <pid>

> > ***** WARNING *****
> > Berkeley DB header files/shared library file do NOT match!
> > Disabling use of map cache.
> >  Header file: Sleepycat Software: Berkeley DB 4.2.52: (December 3, 2003)
> > Library file: Sleepycat Software: Berkeley DB 4.4.20: (January 10, 2006)
> > ***** WARNING *****

The "Disabling use of map cache." line lets you know that it is
_not_ using the Berkeley library for map caching.  If it were to be
enabled with headers that don't match the libraries, the likely
result would be Xastir crashing entirely and disappearing from your
screen.  It is unrelated to the issue you're currently having.

> I'd like to straighten out the Berkeley DB issue and I would also
> like to isolate the lockup problem if it's not related.

Typically you'd:

*) Remove any older Berkeley header and/or library files.
*) Make sure that the sets you do have installed match.
*) Make sure that you pass flags to configure if necessary in order
   to help Xastir find them if it can't find them automatically.

On OpenSuSE-10.0 I don't have to pass any flags to configure to get
map caching compiled in.

Regarding your lockups, did you compile Xastir against Lesstif or
OpenMotif?  I've had more issues with Lesstif.