[Xastir] Stable release plus version numbering

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed Mar 28 16:30:53 EDT 2007

On Wed, Mar 28, 2007 at 03:09:10PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <r.polivka at sbcglobal.net> flavor, containing:
> I believe that this is/was the way that the Linux kernel is sequenced.
> Up front, it would tell us where the package stands.

It seems a bit much to kick us up to 2.0.  This is hardly a major release.
If being consistent with the more common numbering convention is important,
I'd rather see us consider this a minor release and kick up to 1.9.0 (with
development snapshots being considered patches).  The differences between our
current stable release and this one are mostly bug fixes, and perhaps a few
extra features (like, did we have the default shapefile stuff in there for the
1.8.4 stable release?).

The more I think on it, the more I think that stable releases should be
considered a good definition of minor releases, and that snapshots make
sense as patch releases, since they're invariably just a few bug fixes
different from the last stable version.