[Xastir] Stable release plus version numbering

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed Mar 28 16:35:29 EDT 2007

On Wed, Mar 28, 2007 at 02:30:53PM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <russo at bogodyn.org> flavor, containing:
> On Wed, Mar 28, 2007 at 03:09:10PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <r.polivka at sbcglobal.net> flavor, containing:
> > I believe that this is/was the way that the Linux kernel is sequenced.
> > Up front, it would tell us where the package stands.
>
> It seems a bit much to kick us up to 2.0.  This is hardly a major release.
> If being consistent with the more common numbering convention is important,
> I'd rather see us consider this a minor release and kick up to 1.9.0 (with
> development snapshots being considered patches).  The differences between our
> current stable release and this one are mostly bug fixes, and perhaps a few
> extra features (like, did we have the default shapefile stuff in there for the
> 1.8.4 stable release?).
>
> The more I think on it, the more I think that stable releases should be
> considered a good definition of minor releases, and that snapshots make
> sense as patch releases, since they're invariably just a few bug fixes
> different from the last stable version.

Oh, and for a "major release" I would consider that we've been talking (for
as long as I've been using xastir) about a major rewrite (with different
toolkit, possibly in C++) called Xastir 2 --- that would qualify as a major
release in my book.  I'd prefer to consider all incremental perturbations on
what we have now as minor releases.