[Xastir] RE Maps

Mike Fenske mfenske at telus.net
Sat Mar 31 14:12:51 EDT 2007

Murry Brown wrote:
> Curt.
> Thanks for the replies.
> Here's the info.
> Xastir V1.8.4
> Libraries used: Festival PCRE@(#) Motif Version 2.2.3
> I am running Suse 9.2 pro and have an 80g drive dedicated to
> Linux.
>
> Murry     VE9MB

Hi Murry. Greetings from British Columbia. For now, you could try this map:

ftp://aprs.tamu.edu/pub/pocketAPRS/Canada/Maritimes.pdb

copy the map into /usr/local/share/xastir/maps (probably have to do this as root)

If Xastir is already running, choose "Map", "Configure -> Index: Add new maps". If Xastir is not running, it should index new maps on start-up (if the "Index new maps on start-up" is checked).

>From Map Chooser, select Maritimes.pdb and you should see a map.

These PocketAprs maps aren't too bad, but if you can re-compile Xastir to use shapefiles, there are shapfile maps that are much better.

Another option is to compile in Imagemagik and use the toporama maps, although they don't look to good when you zoom in.

Hope this helps. If (when) you have more questions, please ask!

Mike Fenske
VE7MKF