[Xastir] interface failures, part 2

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Sat May 5 09:40:06 EDT 2007

good morning/afternoon/evening all,

I'm still dealing with xastir losing the serial port at times. (a
reminder of my issue, the actual fault is with USB problems, not with
xastir.)

I think maybe xastir could be a bit smarter about recovery, and an
automatic retry for devices (like server ports) would be useful. Here
is my scenario:

- multiple USB/rs232 devices are attached to a laptop for GPS, TNC, etc.

- laptop goes to sleep (shutting down USB in the process), USB cable
gets unplugged, Belkin USB hub dies, etc.

- xastir's connection to /dev/tty.whatever fails; this is noted, but
no further action is taken by xastir

- laptop wakes up/USB cable gets plugged back in, no devices working
with xastir.

- try to manually restart interface, xastir refuses to open /dev/
tty.whatever because "someone" has a lock file on it.

- manually rm the lock files, then start the interface in xastir.
normal operation resumes (until the next time)

I think there are two issues with xastir here:

1 - xastir fails to recognize that _it_ created the lock file, so
it's OK to remove it and restart the interface like I asked.  My
feeling is this is a bug.

2 - it would be nice if I could tell xastir to automatically retry
opening the device special file if it errors out, just like we do
with server connections.  I guess this is a feature request.

Curt, I didn't try the error message patches you sent yet because I
had a balloon flight and not enough time.  Are those in the latest
CVS, or should I go ahead and patch them in?

-Jason
kg4wsv