[Xastir] Tiger2006 maps problem?

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Mon May 7 18:47:14 EDT 2007

On Sun, May 06, 2007 at 09:16:59AM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <russo at bogodyn.org> flavor, containing:
> On Sat, May 05, 2007 at 10:12:51PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <acraiga at pacbell.net> flavor, containing:
> >  Hi all,
> >  	I've been beating my head against the wall of the
> >  Tiger 2006 maps that I downloaded from xastir.tamu.edu
> >  (which seems to be down right now).  I get several things
> >  that don't work well about those maps.  One is a lack of
> >  colors, the other is no fills anywhere.  No water fills, no
> >  parks, no built-up city areas, nothing.  I've tried every option
> >  I can play with, including messing with the dbfawk files and
> >  I get nothing like the maps I get from the Online/tigermap.geo
> >  server.
>
> If I recall correctly, the person who generated those maps only generated
> the polyline versions, not the polygon versions.

I just checked.  Gerry pointed me at aprs.tamu.edu (anonymous FTP site) and
I see that indeed only the line files for the TIGER 2006 files were ever
generated.

I am currently in the process of downloading all of the TIGER 2006 Second
Edition data and processing it --- my process will generate both the line and
polygon data.  This process will take several days, as the polygon generation
is slow and there are many, many files to convert.

Once I finish, I'll get with Gerry and figure out how to upload them to
aprs.tamu.edu.  Watch this space for an announcment when I finish and the
files are available.

Gerry says that the xastir.tamu.edu machine crashed hard and is not back yet.
No apparent ETA to its return.