[Xastir] Smart digi on MacOS?

Dan Brown brown at brauhaus.org
Tue May 8 18:23:56 EDT 2007

On Tue, 8 May 2007, Curt, WE7U wrote:

> On Tue, 8 May 2007, Jason Godfrey wrote:
>
> > I need to temporarily setup a "smart" aprs digi using my Mac laptop. I
> > understand that xastir does not support that, and the recommendation
> > is to use aprsdigi.
>
> Another option would be Digi_ned, which runs under DOS or Linux.  If
> you have a DOS emulator running or the Linux version will compile
> under MacOSX, that might work for you.

I've had pretty good luck with Parallels here for running a variety of
OS's, dos, windows, linux, etc.  And yes, I have at least compiled Xastir
under most of them, give or take DOS. I haven't yet downloaded the
Xastir Vmware instance and tried to convert/run that under Parallels,
but it is supposed to be possible to do.

I will note that I didn't have great luck with getting Parallels hosted
Windows 2k, running Xastir to talk to my KPC3+ via an IO Gear GUC232A usb
to serial adapter.  It BSOD'ed.  I didn't debug it extensively -- I was
trying to get the windows instance to see the USB/Serial adapter as a USB
device, and what I think I probably needed to do was to tell Parallels to
map a windows serial port to a particular file (/dev/cu.usbserial) instead.
It ended up being just plain easier to either run Xastir natively
(N8YSZ-3), or to use a native linux PC (N8YSZ-4) and I've not revisited it.

--
Dan Brown
brown at brauhaus.org