[Xastir] GraphicsMagick

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed May 9 11:43:06 EDT 2007

On Wed, 9 May 2007, John Ronan wrote:

> I'm trying to build xastir with GraphicsMagick on OS X and I'm stuck.
> I don't really 'get' the autoconf stuff so I'm going to need guidance
> to figure this one out.

Quick tutorial:

The autoconf stuff for Xastir is in "configure.ac" and
"acinclude.m4".  The particular stuff you're looking for is the
"XASTIR_CHECK_GRAPHICSMAGICK" function in acinclude.m4.

When you run autoconf it creates "configure".  When you run
configure it creates the Makefiles.

In this case configure is looking for "GraphicsMagick-config".  If
it finds that executable it assigns it to "GMAGIC_BIN" and then
invokes it multiple times to figure out these variables:

    CPPFLAGS
    CXXFLAGS
    LDFLAGS
    LIBS

After that it checks for the proper headers and libraries via
AC_CHECK_HEADER() and (AC_CHECK_LIB).  If any of the above fails,
then it fails the entire GraphicsMagick test.

It looks for header "GraphicsMagick/magick/api.h" off the standard
include directories.  If you've put things in unusual places you may
have to add flags to the configure line in order to help it find
them.  See the similar notes about Berkeley DB libraries on MacOSX
to see how to do this.  Hopefully we have support in configure to
specifiy the paths for GraphicsMagick, but I haven't tried.

> ls -al /usr/local/include//GraphicsMagick/
> total 8
> drwxr-xr-x    6 root  wheel   204 May  9 16:05 .
> drwxr-xr-x    3 root  wheel   102 May  9 15:45 ..
> drwxr-xr-x   14 root  wheel   476 May  9 16:05 Magick++
> -rw-r--r--    1 root  wheel   419 May  9 16:05 Magick++.h
> drwxr-xr-x   49 root  wheel  1666 May  9 16:05 magick
> drwxr-xr-x    6 root  wheel   204 May  9 16:05 wand

We don't use Magick++ or wand, so just verify that "api.h" is in the
magick directory.

> configure:16239: checking for GraphicsMagick-config
> configure:16270: result: no

If it can't find the GraphicsMagick-config script right off the bat
then it can't do the other checks.  On my system that executable is
in /usr/local/bin/, just like yours.  Perhaps add that directory to
your $PATH and try again?

It looks like my GraphicsMagick is installed in /usr/local/* as
well so that appears to be a fairly standard place for Xastir to
look for it.  Once you can get configure to find the config script
you should be golden.