[Xastir] CAD object transmissions?

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed May 16 17:42:54 EDT 2007

On Wed, May 16, 2007 at 01:44:35PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <archer at eskimo.com> flavor, containing:
> On Wed, 16 May 2007, Craig Anderson wrote:
>
> > That would be hugely useful to me.
> >
> > The ability to create a coordinated, distributed,
> > common operating picture for a search & rescue
> > effort.  Like NetMeeting for S&R.
> >
> > Could I talk someone into that?  :-)
>
> Well, I think Tom and I are the ones that are (eventually)
> interested in such a thing.
>
> I hacked on the code to create the CAD objects originally, but
> haven't had time to flesh out my thoughts on what it could become,
> or to work on the code much more.
>
> The POD circle transmitted data isn't compatible with any other APRS
> application.  There's no reason why we couldn't request our own
> user-defined packet from Bob, then define all kinds of special stuff
> just for us.

Aren't multipoint objects already in the standard?  Or at rather, aren't
the multipoint objects supported by more than just Xastir?

Turning a cad object into the necessary string for multipoint objects
and stuffing it into an object's data shouldn't be *that* hard.  Just need
someone with the time to do the coding (i.e. someone other than me).
Then again, I am not sure if the multipoint protocol allows enough vertices
with enough precision to do all that CAD objects can do.