[Xastir] Complete set of TIGER 2006 SE shapefiles now available!

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Mon May 21 13:10:19 EDT 2007

On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 10:52:11AM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <russo at bogodyn.org> flavor, containing:
> On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 12:33:25PM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <bickley at baybroadband.net> flavor, containing:
[Re: TIGER/Line shapefiles]
> > You guys have been really patient in answering several questions form this
> > rank newcomer to Linux and Xastir.  Am I good for another one?
> >
> > What are the benefits of these new offerings versus what was already out
> > there?

I answered the "Why not the online version" question, but not this one.

The 2006 Second Edition maps will have updated (presumably better) data as
the Census adds information.

The previous 2006 shapefile conversions only converted the linear features,
and were missing all of the polygons.  The files were also named by FIPS code,
which made it a little difficult to figure out what file applied to what part
of the state.  The new ones have county names.

The much older 2004 shapefiles had the polygon features, but were based on
older data that the Census doesn't distribute anymore.

The 2006 SE files will be the last data that the Census will be distributing
in TIGER/Line format.  Starting next year they'll be distributing shapefiles
of their own.  From the looks of it, these will be less useful, as their
current plans show that their files will have a set of attributes that will
make it difficult to use them in Xastir.  So these 2006 SE shapefiles will
probably be the last set of useful Census data we can get our hands on, unless
the Census changes the DBF attributes they plan to attach to their data when
they start distributing shapefiles themselves.

The TIGER/Line data was never meant to provide navigation-quality maps, but
they're the closest thing we've got to free street-level maps of the whole
country.  Better data can often be had from local public works departments,
but it's hit-or-miss and not at all standardized.