[Xastir] USB GPS?

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Thu May 24 23:40:01 EDT 2007

On Thu, May 24, 2007 at 02:39:49PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <r.polivka at sbcglobal.net> flavor, containing:
> About the sequencing, if you have unique ID's to your USB components, one could hack the hotplug/udev scripts to steer the unique ID to a particular device name. I did it a long time ago for a M$ GPS dongle but I do not remember how to do it.

There is definitely a way to do it, and it involves a configuration file
in /etc and the device IDs as you suggest.

In fact, here is something relevant on page 321 of O'Reilly's "Ubuntu Hacks",
hack number 83.  It's about mounting USB storage devices with consistent
names, though, so it'd have to be modified to work with serial adapters.  To
summarize what I glean from it, one would use
"udevinfo -a -p $(udevinfo -q path -n /dev/ttyUSB0)" to figure out the serial
number (by looking for a "SYSFS{serial}" line, and then adding a line to
/etc/udev/rulse.d/10-local.rules that makes sure it gets a consistent device
name.  Or something like that.

That's something I've had no real use for so far --- but I do have multiple
USB serial adapters to try it out on, maybe I'll have time to look at that
this weekend.