[Xastir] Xastir on a handheld

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri May 25 12:10:01 EDT 2007

On Fri, 25 May 2007, Dick C. Reichenbach wrote:

> I have a Zaurus C3100, but I've never tried it.  PDA Xrom should work,
> but I had problems with it, especially the sleep modes.  The Z kept
> wanting to reboot on sleep.  If you have a bigger Z like a newer C3200,
> you can run FreeBSD which you may have better luck with.  Either way, it
> would requre the use of Motif and I wouldn't compile Xastiir without
> Graphics or ImageMagick.  You're definatly looking at a lot of work.
> Currently I'm trying to comple some simple expat libraries for use with
> a very simple command line app and I'm having a lot of trouble getting
> them to work.
>
> Ideally WHEN Xastir 2 comes into existance (HINT!!!) The display portion
> can be broken out into a QT app.  There are already some limited QT apps
> for handling of shapefiles.

Now I _would_ compile Xastir without GM or IM for use on a PDA...
I'd try to get libproj/libgeotiff/libtiff in there as well as
Shapefiles, so I'd have vector maps and topo maps well covered.

Switching to a different PDA now:  The stuff I've seen about Linux
on a Treo doesn't look promising, as in I don't think I'm going to
head that way at this time.

W.R.T. Xastir-2, we'd have to add support for some simpler database
for the back-end 'cuz I don't think PostgreSQL or MySQL would work
well on such devices.  There are simpler databases that should work
for such uses though.