[Xastir] libtiff / libxtiff

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Sat Nov 3 12:44:44 EDT 2007

On Sat, 3 Nov 2007, Chip Griffin wrote:

> My current
> stumbling block to getting things as they were is to get libgeotiff
> installed. When I run the "configure" I get this error:
>
> > configure: error: You will need to substantially rewrite libxtiff to
> > build libgeotiff without libtiff

That's a funny error message!  I don't recall seeing that one
before.  I assume you're running the libgeotiff configure in that
case.

Note that the version of libgeotiff depends heavily on the version
of libtiff.  You might want to peruse the libgeotiff site to see if
you are building using the correct versions.  It's possible you'll
need to upgrade or downgrade one or the other to find versions that
will play nicely together.

Another thing to check is the configure.log file to see what
problems configure is really seeing.  The details should be there,
but the file can be verbose to it might take a while to find the
area with the problem.

I just did an upgrade to OpenSuSE-10.3 here (from 10.2) and it
didn't go well, but that was probably my own fault.  Just before the
upgrade I relocated /boot (where the kernel, initrd, and grub files
go) to the large partition instead of a 16MB partition where it was
short on space.

Anyway... I ended up throwing in another hard drive and doing a
fresh install of 10.3 onto that drive, so now I need to move and/or
remount partitions to get to my original home directory.  Of course
somewhere along the line they changed things so that the first user
starts at UID 1000 now instead of UID 500, so there's a bit more
work to do there.  After I merge the user files together (carefully
so that I gain any new stuff in the new default config files), I'll
install Xastir and it's libraries.

It's nice to have a clean system to start from every once in a while
anyway, right?  My files are safe, they're just harder to get to for
a bit.  ;-)

This might be a good time to run out to Fry's and buy a new
whiz-bang hard drive with "unlimited" space, since I have to do the
work anyway.  I see 750GB and 1TB drives for sale now.  Those might
hold a map or two!  I don't think this MOBO has SAS or SATA ports so
I'd need a card too if I want the high I/O speeds.