[Xastir] GDAL, db42, etc (Mac & Leopard)

Chip Griffin n1mie at mac.com
Sat Nov 3 13:20:54 EDT 2007

I was not able to get GDAL (1.4.3) to compile. I tried with just "./
configure" and got an error when I tried to 'make' it. So, per the
INSTALL file, I tried several of the switches mentioned. I added the
'internal' options one at a time, and still wasn't able to get it to
compile even after they were all added. This is the error at the end
of the make when the exact "./configure" with switches is used from
the INSTALL file.

> Undefined symbols:
>   "_gtCSLCount", referenced from:
>       OGCDatumName2EPSGDatumCode(char const*)in gt_wkt_srs.o
>   "_gtCPLError", referenced from:
>       _GTIFSetFromOGISDefn in gt_wkt_srs.o
>       _GTIFWktFromMemBuf in gt_wkt_srs.o
>       _GTIFMemBufFromWkt in gt_wkt_srs.o
>   "_gtCPLMalloc", referenced from:
>       _GTIFMemBufFromWkt in gt_wkt_srs.o
>   "_gtCSLDestroy", referenced from:
>       OGCDatumName2EPSGDatumCode(char const*)in gt_wkt_srs.o
>       OGCDatumName2EPSGDatumCode(char const*)in gt_wkt_srs.o
>       OGCDatumName2EPSGDatumCode(char const*)in gt_wkt_srs.o
>   "_gtCSVFilename", referenced from:
>       OGCDatumName2EPSGDatumCode(char const*)in gt_wkt_srs.o
>       OGCDatumName2EPSGDatumCode(char const*)in gt_wkt_srs.o
>   "_gtCSVReadParseLine", referenced from:
>       OGCDatumName2EPSGDatumCode(char const*)in gt_wkt_srs.o
>       OGCDatumName2EPSGDatumCode(char const*)in gt_wkt_srs.o
>       OGCDatumName2EPSGDatumCode(char const*)in gt_wkt_srs.o
>   "_gtCPLCalloc", referenced from:
>       _GTIFWktFromMemBuf in gt_wkt_srs.o
>   "_gtCPLStrdup", referenced from:
>       WKTMassageDatum(char**) in gt_wkt_srs.o
>       WKTMassageDatum(char**) in gt_wkt_srs.o
>       _GTIFGetOGISDefn in gt_wkt_srs.o
>       _GTIFGetOGISDefn in gt_wkt_srs.o
>       _GTIFGetOGISDefn in gt_wkt_srs.o
>       _GTIFWktFromMemBuf in gt_wkt_srs.o
>       _GTIFWktFromMemBuf in gt_wkt_srs.o
> ld: symbol(s) not found
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[1]: *** [libgdal.la] Error 1
> make: *** [check-lib] Error 2

When I run Xastir I am getting a lot of messages that look like this:

> Warning:
> 	Name: create_appshell text_output
> 	Class: XmTextField
> 	Character '\61' not supported in font.  Discarded.

I was not seeing these in my previous installation. I'm not sure it's
a problem, but I'd prefer to get rid of the warnings if I could. They
might mask some other problem.

I finally got db42 working. The problem was in my ./configure line.
Some of you may recall that I build Xastir using a script. My script
had been modified for my use of MacPorts (another package manager for
Macs). This is the only machine that was using that manager, all my
other machines are using Fink. When I'd upgraded to Leopard I'd
abandoned MacPorts in order to eliminate another possible problem and
to stick with what I knew best as I worked through the issues. I'd
forgotten that the libdb and libinclude directories were specified in
the configure process. That fixed, I have caching again.

73,
--de Chip (N1MIE) FN41bn