[Xastir] Re: Leopard & Xastir

Herman I. May KE5HYW at kempiweb.net
Sun Nov 4 12:10:33 EST 2007

I have not seen the following discussed with respect to this thread,
but it may prove relevant to a solution.

None of those experiencing problems compiling (or recompiling) Xastir
under 10.5 have mentioned the version of the Developer Tools they are
using. According to the recent release Notes for Xcode 2.5, the
following may need to be considered. One would assume the caveats
pertaining to Xcode 2.5 under 10.5 would also apply, to some degree,
to Xcode ≤2.4.1 as well.

" Xcode 2.5 replaces any previous version of the Xcode Tools. It
removes Xcode-specific content from /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks
and instead puts all Xcode-related content into the Developer
directory."

"When installed on a Mac OS X 10.5 system, Xcode 2.5 does not install
any files into /usr/bin because its Tiger-based tools are not
compatible with native development for Leopard. Xcode will find these
tools automatically, but if you want to do makefile-based development
for Xcode 2.5 on Leopard, you must set your PATH environment variable
to specify Xcode 2.5's /usr/bin directory first in order for its tools
to be used, and also ensure that you are using the 10.4u SDK so that
you do not include Leopard header files or link to Leopard link
libraries."

Both of these points may be especially relevant if one is attempting
to recompile Xastir for 10.5 from an existing build directory -
especially if both 2.5 and 3.0 are installed concurrently. Even if
recompiling after invoking a "make clean" command, there may be
residual references to the old Framework paths.

I have not yet upgraded to 10.5, nor have I attempted to recompile
Xastir against the new Xcode 2.5 Framework. Nevetheless, judging from
the error types some have reported on this list, the above information
may be helpful in diagnosing and correcting the problems encountered.

Herman