[Xastir] OpenSuSE 10.3/Xastir

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Nov 6 11:33:58 EST 2007

Figured I'd post an update on getting Xastir going on OpenSuSE-10.3.
I know others have done it as well, but figured my experiences might
be of value too.

The upgrade from 10.2 didn't go well.  That was most likely my fault
as I messed with the /boot partition, moving the files to the '/'
partition just before the upgrade.  I don't think it was SuSE's
fault that I screwed it up.  When I was all done it wouldn't boot.

Anyway, I installed OpenSuSE-10.3 onto a fresh disk, then mounted my
original drive as /home.  I changed my UID from the 500 range up to
the 1000 range to match where they're putting users now, but that's
minor stuff.

On to the Xastir-specific info:

I added several repositories to YaST including the ham radio 10.3
repository, plus did an OS update.

Using YaST I added all of the packages that Xastir would need, but I
didn't install Xastir from the ham radio repository (It was in
there, so I could have).  Instead I compiled/installed Xastir itself
from sources.

So...  I had to install NOTHING from sources except for Xastir
itself, but I got ALL of the optional packages enabled.  This says a
lot for the guys who are supporting the ham packages for SuSE!

What _didn't_ work right out of the gate:

Terraserver images.  They showed up entirely black.  I got rid of
GraphicsMagick and installed ImageMagick.  They work now.  I believe
this is only due to how the GM package was compiled.  SuSE needs to
add one more command-line option to GM's configure while they're
building their RPM package in order to make it work.

Labels on sliders in the GUI:  I downgraded OpenMotif to an earlier
version.  They work now.  This is a known Motif bug in alter
versions.

I should also mention LSB:  Before I added the ham repository and
did the Xastir install from sources, I had the LSB version of Xastir
up and running just be exploding the package into the proper place
and running the binary.  I had internet maps and an internet feed
working in minutes.  After I got the compiled-from-sources Xastir
running I deleted the /opt/Xastir directory to get rid of the LSB
version.