[Xastir] get-gnis script failure

Alex Carver kf4lvz at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 9 17:15:37 EST 2007

--- Tom Russo <russo at bogodyn.org> wrote:
> If list members have old-format GNIS files that are
> not already in the pub/GNIS
> directory, they should probably bzip2 them and
> upload them to aprs.tamu.edu
> in the 'incoming' directory, then notify Gerry that
> they're there and can be
> moved.  Please do this, because this is the only way
> that other xastir users
> will have access to usable GNIS data.  The new stuff
> from USGS is useless for
> our purposes.

I just uploaded a single file that contains every
state and US territory.  I'm not exactly sure how
complete it is but it has over 180,000 cities and
towns listed.  A quick scan showed populations as low
as 60 in some cases.

Don't know Gerry's email address off hand to notify
him, but it's in the incoming directory as
0pop_places.gnis and the file can be exploded by state
using some basic shell scripting.  If anyone wants me
to explode it, I'll be happy to do so, I just figured
I'd dump the whole file there first as a backup.