[Xastir] Xastir compiled static?

Curt archer at eskimo.com
Mon Nov 19 01:43:38 EST 2007

On Sun, 18 Nov 2007, Craig Anderson wrote:

> Is it even
> possible to compile Xastir statically and
> end up with one giant binary that is not
> dependent on having all these libraries
> installed everywhere?

For the most part, yes.  It can be done, and is being done:  Called
Xastir-LSB, for "Linux Standard Base".

LSB is a project where they guarantee a certain API to a small set
of libraries.  Any project compiled to LSB standards uses their set
of dynamic libraries, then does one of two things with any
additional libraries they may need:

  *) Compile them in statically
  *) Distribute them along with the binary and assure those
     libraries are linked in when the binary is executed.

I've done the static link work for most of the optional libraries.
If you have LSB-3.0 or better support in your OS you should be able
to download/run the Xastir-LSB binary.  On OpenSuSE Linux you just
need to install the LSB RPM and you're good to go.  Most other
Linuxes should be similar in this respect, assuming they have some
sort of LSB support.

The main difference from the regular Xastir install is that
Xastir-LSB installs into /opt/Xastir/ instead of the /usr/local/
heirarchy.  You'll need to move your maps or put in a symlink.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer