[Xastir] Infinity GPS Microphone

Fred Hillhouse fmhillhouse at comcast.net
Tue Nov 20 13:44:06 EST 2007

Interesting product! It is unclear how it interfaces with a radio but it
looks like custom cables are available. It doesn't look like it has any
mapping built-in.

I had trouble just clicking on the links so here they are directly.
http://www.infinitygear.com/images/pdfs/P1000RadioENGLISH.pdf
http://www.infinitygear.com/images/pdfs/GPSMIC1english.pdf

Couple it to a Kenwood TH-D7 and the system looks like it might be complete.
For what it is worth, I have used remote microphones on the job for about 8
years. The microphones get a lot of abuse. I would rather affix a radio and
GPS to my pack/jacket/etc and replace a cheap microphone as needed. But the
product does look cool!

The older Garmin GPS Vs are cheap on EBay and can provide decent mapping and
can display the location of other stations. And coupled to a Kenwood TH-D7
make a fine combination.

The TH-D7 can act as a tracker while providing voice operation on 440. You
also get texting as well.  For more information on this radio check out:
site. Check out the photos of the guy up on some mountain peak in the Yahoo
group!

The Tracker2 or Tinytrak4 with a dual band radio will give the same results.
The tracker are quite small. Overall hiking with them is not cumbersome.
Xastir isn't needed for tracking in this case.

Best regards,
Fred