[Xastir] Infinity GPS Microphone

Chip Griffin n1mie at mac.com
Tue Nov 20 22:15:48 EST 2007

On Nov 20, 2007, at 21:32, James Ewen wrote:

>> Couple it to a Kenwood TH-D7 and the system looks like it might be
>> complete.
>
> Yup, or a plain old TH-K2AT. You are not going to gain anything by
> coupling it to a TH-D7. The TH-D7 will not be able to parse NMEA
> strings out of an audio encoded stream. The positioning system is
> most likely not compatible with APRS, so you wouldn't even be able
> to view the incoming data on the TH-D7.

No it won't work, but it brings up a great idea. The think I loathe
about the D7 is that in order to use it for other than just a plain
vanilla HT you have to add a GPS through some dongle. While only
partially better, a microphone with a built-in GPS would be a
definite improvement. Now if one could just create such an animal and
a method of connecting it without a maze of wires (aka, tripping
hazard), then I would be near the front of the line to order one (as
well as a D7). I've always thought that Kenwood did it wrong not to
build the D7 like the Garmin Rino (I've got a 120 & 130). How much
sweeter it (D7) would be with an option for an internal GPS. <sigh> I
dream of a truly portable APRS HT ... one without strings (wires)
attached ...

73,
--de Chip (N1MIE) FN41bn