[Xastir] Infinity GPS Microphone

James Ewen jewen at shaw.ca
Tue Nov 20 21:32:07 EST 2007

On Nov 20, 2007 11:44 AM, Fred Hillhouse <fmhillhouse at comcast.net> wrote:

> Interesting product! It is unclear how it interfaces with a radio but it
> looks like custom cables are available.

>From what I read, this unit will interface through a standard
microphone connector. As such, it will have to act in a fashion
similar to Mic-e, doing a packet burst after transmission, and or
possibly on a time or distance based position reporting system.

>It doesn't look like it has any mapping built-in.

>From looking at a single screen shot, I agree, there is no mapping in sight.
Depending upon what is implemented in the GPS, you may or may not have
a base map. Reading into the information in the PDF, they mention
built in graphics for scenic waypoints, and also the ability to
download logged data. It sounds like you will at least get a screen
that can show you your own location and that of other similarily
equipped users. The PDF indicates that one user can see the location
of others without a PC. That could be as rudimentary as a text listing
of the lat/long, or perhaps an icon overlaid on a nice basemap. We
don't have enough information yet to know.

> Couple it to a Kenwood TH-D7 and the system looks like it might be complete.

Yup, or a plain old TH-K2AT. You are not going to gain anything by
coupling it to a TH-D7. The TH-D7 will not be able to parse NMEA
strings out of an audio encoded stream. The positioning system is most
likely not compatible with APRS, so you wouldn't even be able to view
the incoming data on the TH-D7.

> For what it is worth, I have used remote microphones on the job for about 8
> years. The microphones get a lot of abuse. I would rather affix a radio and
> GPS to my pack/jacket/etc and replace a cheap microphone as needed. But the
> product does look cool!

It is an interesting looking product, and can fill a niche market
nicely. People can purchase the product and add it to their existing
radios very easily. I wonder how long the unit lasts on a set up
batteries, and if the batteries go dead, can you still use the
microphone for voice use.

With enough capital, one could build a similar product that uses APRS,
and connects to any amateur handheld to give it APRS capabilities. The
RC-D710 provides a similar user interface for the mobile crowd, but
still requires an external GPS.

James
VE6SRV